Report an Observation
To report an observation of an endangered, threatened, or special concern species, we highly suggest reporting via our online Survey123 application.
Please view our informational StoryMap, Conserving Michigan’s Biodiversity Together, to learn more about reporting rare species to MNFI. If you are part of an organization, e.g., land conservancy, nature center, local government, and want to talk about the Survey123 form, or StoryMap, please contact us.
We will always accept observations via PDF forms for species and other types of reporting. All observations are validated before being entered into the Natural Heritage database or MNFI Observations database. MNFI will contact you via email if questions arise or more information is needed.
MNFI Rare Species Form (2.0)
The original "Rare Species App Form" and "Rare Species Web Form" have been retired. Please delete the old app form from your device and download the new 2.0 version!
- To begin, go to the MNFI Rare Species Form web page, or scan the QR code with your mobile device where a web browser will open.
- For the web version, select "Open in browser". For the app version, select "Open in the Survey123 field app". If you haven’t downloaded the app to your device or computer yet click the download button and follow the prompts. Once downloaded, follow the same link again and select "Open in the Survey123 field app" to automatically open the form in the app.
- You do not need to create an ArcGIS Online account to enter or submit data using the app. When opening the app select "Continue without signing in".
- Both versions of the form are accessible on any device. The app version is ideal for mapping observations in the field, web version for mapping observations out of the field.
- Organizations using this form for data entry/reporting may reach out to Courtney Ross, email@example.com to have a report summary returned each quarter/year.
More information about the Survey123 App
- Data service is not necessary when collecting data in the field, but locational services are to map your location. You will need to connect to wifi or use the data on your device in order to send data from the app to MNFI.
- App users can save drafts and revisit forms before submitting to MNFI. In addition, sent surveys are saved on the device in a separate folder to review as well.
Survey Forms in PDF Format
The following forms were designed for recording information while conducting field surveys.
Please submit a completed form as an email attachment along with associated maps to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader. The latest version of Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from Adobe. If the form doesn't open in your browser, look for a download button along the top of your browser's pdf viewer. On a Windows computer, you can download the form by right-clicking the link and choosing "Save link as" and then open it with Acrobat Reader. For additional help with viewing PDF forms, see Adobe's web site to troubleshoot viewing PDF files.
- Special Species Form
- Special Animal Survey Form
- Special Plant Survey Form
- Ecological Community Survey Form
- Aquatics Special Animal Survey Form
All questions can be directed to email@example.com