Rare Species and Natural Features Enhanced Review
Once an Enhanced Review has been requested, MNFI staff will examine the project activities and location and evaluate them based on viable records in the Natural Heritage Database. The project area is also cross-referenced with the following data; high quality communities, geological features, wetlands, designated streams and rivers, designated natural areas, high risk erosion areas, National Land Cover, critical habitats and critical dunes. Maps showing the results are then provided along with the review letter.
Information provided with a Review letter:
- No Species Present Letter
- A letter stating that there are no known species currently present based on the Natural Heritage Database. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. A comprehensive survey of the entire state has not been done so MNFI can not state that no species exists at any location.
- Species Present Letter
- Letter listing out ALL potential species, including historical occurrences that are located in the area of the project.
- Specific management recommendations and highlighting of those species that are considered to have potential impact by project activities.
- A listing of all State and/or Federal regulations that the requestor needs to be aware of.
- Recommendations if MNFI science staff evaluate a project as needing more intensive review such as a field survey.
- Mapped information to be included
- High quality communities
- Geological features
- Designated streams and rivers
- Designated natural areas
- High risk erosion areas
- National Land Cover Data
- Critical habitats
- Critical dunes
Please note: This is a desktop review based on the MNFI natural heritage database. While we may be able to determine if there will be potential impacts to a rare species, MNFI cannot supply a "no impact" designation without an on site assessment.
|Fee||20 Day Turnaround||8 Day Turnaround|
|Base fee for search||$400||$500|
|Base fee for data compilation - Calculated based on area ($12.78 / mi2). Typical projects at a single location will be buffered by 1.5 - 2 miles resulting in a $115 base fee for data.||$115|
(~ 9 mi2 x $12.78)
(~ 9 mi2 x $12.78)
|Minimum fee for request||$515||$615|
Procedure for Making a Request
- Requestor sends a letter to the address below or preferably an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information:
- Name and address of the company, organization or individual making the request
- Brief description of the proposed project
- Description of what is there now (building, type of vegetation, recent disturbance)
- Location of the area to be searched listed by PLSS town, range and section
- Indication if a rush order is desired for an additional $100
- MNFI staff will respond to the e-mail by sending an information services agreement
- Once the signed information services agreement has been returned to MNFI a search will be performed and an invoice will be generated and sent to the requestor. In the case of a rush order information on the location will be sent and it will be assumed that the fees will be sent in.
- Upon receipt of the information service fee information will be sent by e-mail to the requestor.
Credit Card Payment
You may pay for an Enhanced Rare Species Review with a credit card after receiving an invoice. Credit card payments are handled through Michigan State University's secure payment system, which can be accessed by following the link below. Enter the amount of the payment, your company or agency name, and the invoice number. Add the "Enhanced Rare Species Review" item to the shopping basket and click the "Continue Checkout" button to enter your billing information and complete the payment.
Again, to submit a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a written request to the following address:
Michigan Natural Features Inventory
Information Services and Requests
PO Box 13036
Lansing MI 48901